Enough fish and tide tales. Let’s get back to business – an impressive entrepreneurial “pivot.” There’s tiny aviation college on the Moncton airport field. The sign said “founded in 1929,” and lots of small plane pilots no doubt trained there over the years. But, along with general aviation/small plane decline all, this kind of operation is dying. Netjet is what it’s about today.
But instead of the dusty, paint-peeling general aviation outfits we usually see when refueling, Moncton Flight College was an amazing beehive of activity. Racing around were dozens of young, white-uniformed Chinese pilots in training.
Turns out the owners of MFC decided NOT to let the town go off the map. So they researched and found a hungry market in China – which desperately needs trained pilots. They forged relationships with several Chinese schools and now have 200-300 pilots training 1-3 years in a fleet of planes. The students live right on the field in dorms and bicycle into town. We talked with several students and they were full of energy and excitement. An instructor told us they pay as much as $50k each for a fairly basic pilot certification. That’s a lot of clams in an otherwise dying business – and impressive for the hinterlands of Canada.
This is probably information overload, but it was sobering for us to see what they have on their website to attract International students. Check out #4, 5, 6, and 10. Ouch.
Top Ten Reasons to Study in Canada!
1. Canada is ranked by the UN as one of the top ten places in the world to live
2. Canada’s educational institutions are world leaders in quality and value
3. Degrees and diplomas granted at Canadian institutions are recognized internationally
4. International students who graduate from a college or university in Canada can stay and work after graduation. Consult http://www.cic.gc.ca for more information
5. Canada is a safe country with a stable government
6. Canada’s health care system is one of the best in the world
7. Canada has two official languages and offers ample opportunity to learn and master both
8. Canada is proud of its multicultural population diversity is celebrated
9. Canada’s natural beauty is protected, preserved and picturesque!
10. Canada welcomes international students and is proud to be a study destination of choice for students from around the globe.